The Pulaski Tunnel Trail traces part of the route that Edward Pulaski’s crew followed during their escape from the 1910 fires. The trail’s two-mile course brings hikers to an overlook across the creek from the Nicholson mine adit – better known as the Pulaski Tunnel – where “Big Ed” Pulaski saved all but six of his 45-man firefighting crew in August of 1910.
The site’s harsh history is now buffered by a thick green cloak of spruce and fir; the West Fork of Placer Creek cascades down the ravine. Interpretive signs along the trail tell of the calamitous summer of fire and the people who suffered its scars.
Allow two to four hours for the four-mile round trip to the Pulaski Tunnel overlook.